How to make a volcano
I love this experiment as children are usually thrilled by the eruption,
- Dish soap (10 mls)
- White vinegar(400 ml)
- Food colouring
- Warm water (100 mls)
- Slurry baking soda(put a half cup of baking soda in a bowl and fill the other half cup with water, do not mix)
- Empty bottles ( 2 liters)
- Pour 400 mls of vinegar into the empty bottle
- 1Add 100 mls of warm water into the vinegar
- Pour 10 mls of dish soap into the combinations
- Add 2 drops of food colouring
- Mix the baking soda slurry until it becomes liquid
this is when the magic happens
- Pour the baking soda into the bottle and quickly step back am sure your child will be thrilled by this eruption
Let’s talk about what happened.
When vinegar and baking soda are combined, It creates a gas reaction called carbon dioxide. Carbon Dioxide is the same gas used to make carbonated drinks for example, cola. So that is why when you shake up soda, the gas gets very excited and tries to spread out thus, it’s the same in this experiment there is not enough room in the bottle for the gas to spread out so, it tries to leave the opening very quickly thereby causing an eruption.
If you tried this experiment, comment below and tell me how it goes, will love to know if it excites the little blooms.